Last Updated: June 16, 2022
This Privacy Notice explains how New Teacher Center (“NTC,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) collects, processes, uses, and discloses personal information in connection with our websites, including https://newteachercenter.org/ (the “Sites”), and the related content, products, services, platforms, and other functionality offered on or through the online services, NTC’s Learning Platforms, such as the Kiano, and LeadNet (collectively, with the Sites, the “Services”). It does not address our privacy practices related to NTC job applicants, employees, and other personnel.
All capitalized terms that are not defined in this Privacy Notice have the meaning given to them in the Terms of Service.
Student Data: If you use the NTC Services through your affiliation with or in connection with a School, school district, or organization (“School”), please refer to Section 7 to learn more about how NTC protects the privacy of Students.
1. OUR COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal Information Collected From You
We collect personal information from you. The categories of information we collect can include:
- Account and profile information: We collect personal information from you when you register and create a user account on one of the NTC’s Learning Platforms. The personal information we collect during account registration may depend on your account type but could include username, email address, password, and other contact information. If you are a teacher, we also collect additional information if you provide it in your profile, which could include your school information (name, city, state).
- Using the Services: We collect personal information you provide when using the Services, including User Content (as defined in our Terms of Service). For example, when you interact with other users, Students, mentors/coaches, or teachers, including by posting messages, videos, content, and photos, receiving or providing feedback, or completing forms with information about your teaching experiences, the Services will collect the information you provide in such submissions. Some of our Services also involve the use of film and audio recordings, or the uploading of video and audio files. The Services also collects information about group memberships.
- Payment and billing information: When you make payments through the Services, you will need to provide certain financial account information. We also collect payment information if you make a purchase or sign up for a subscription. Please note that we use third-party payment processors to process payments made to us. As such, we do not retain any financial account information, such as credit card numbers. Rather, all such information is provided directly by you to our third-party processor. The payment processor’s use of your personal information is governed by their privacy notice.
- Contact and communications information: We collect personal information when you sign up for our newsletter or mailing list or otherwise communicate with us, including by contacting us in person (for example, at conferences, workshops, seminars and other events), via telephone calls, text message, facsimile, or email. We may also collect personal information through your communications with our customer-support team.
Personal Information Automatically Collected
General. As is true of many digital properties, we and our third-party partners may automatically collect certain information from or in connection with your device when visiting or interacting with our Services, such as the list below and in the sub-sections here:
- Device Data, including internet protocol (IP) address, operating system, device type and version, browser type and version, browser id, the URL entered and the referring page/campaign, date/time of visit, other user agent string data, the time spent on our Services, and any errors that may occur during the visit to our Services. Device data may overlap with the other categories of data below.
- Analytics Data, including the path taken to our Services, through our Services, and when exiting our Services, usage and activity on or in connection with our Services, metrics on how many emails we send are actually opened and which attachments or links are opened, clicked, or viewed (such as via pixels, as described further below).
- Location Data (such as geographic location we or our third-party providers may collect, such as via Wi-Fi or IP address).
- Advertising/Advertising Measurement Data, including data associated with your view of, or click on, advertisements served on our Services, cookie IDs or other digital or proprietary identifier (e.g., iOS IDFA, Google AAID) assigned to such device, and device metadata, analytics data, and location data described above, in each case, for purposes of serving advertising (personalized or otherwise) or facilitating advertising measurement/attribution to better optimize or otherwise understand the effectiveness of ad campaigns.For more information on our and third-party partners’ data collection and online advertising practices, please see the “Our Third-Party Data Collection and Online Advertising Practices” section of this Privacy Notice.
Note that we and our third-party partners may combine information that each of us collects automatically with other information about you, including information you choose to provide.
We use or may use the data collected through tracking technologies to secure the Services, improve the Services, to save you time, to provide better technical support, and to track usage of our Sites. For example, tracking technologies help us to: (a) remember information so that a user will not have to re-enter it during subsequent visits; (b) provide custom, personalized content and information; (c) identify you across multiple devices; (d) provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Services; (e) monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, and usage on our Services; (f) diagnose or fix technology problems; (g) help users efficiently access information after signing in; and (h) otherwise plan for and enhance our Services.
Personal Information From Third-Party Sources
We also obtain personal information from third parties, which we often combine with personal information we collect either automatically or directly from you.
We may receive the same categories of personal information as described above from the following third parties:
- Your Employer, Company, Organization, or School: When an individual interacts with our Services as an employee, representative, mentor/coach, or teacher of their employer, company, organization, or school, we may receive their information from their employer or organization, or other employees or representatives at their employer or organization. If you are a Student, we may receive your information from your school, teacher, mentor/coach, or organization.
- Social Media: When an individual interacts with our Services through various social media networks, such as when someone “Likes” us on Facebook or follows us or shares our content on Google, Facebook, Twitter, or other social networks, we may receive some information about individuals that they permit the social network to share with third parties. The data we receive is dependent upon an individual’s privacy settings with the social network. Individuals should always review and, if necessary, adjust their privacy settings on third-party websites and social media networks and services before sharing information and/or linking or connecting them to other services.
- Business Partners: We may receive your information from our business partners, such as companies that offer their products or services on our Services or that co-sponsor an event with us.
- Service Providers: Our service providers that perform services solely on our behalf, such as payment processors, video and audio providers, or survey and certain advertising/marketing providers, collect personal information and may share some or all of this information with us.
- Information Providers: We may from time to time obtain information from third-party information providers to correct or supplement personal information we collect. For example, we may obtain updated contact information from third-party information providers to reconnect with an individual or obtain demographic information (e.g., interests, preferences).
- Other Sources: We may also collect personal information about individuals that we do not otherwise have from, for example, publicly available sources, third-party data providers, brand partnerships, or through transactions such as mergers and acquisitions.
2. OUR USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect the above-mentioned information for various purposes, including:
- To fulfill your requests and provide our Services to you. This includes:
- Making our Services, including providing our products, features, and services to schools and other organizations to use when providing educational and mentorship services to Teachers;
- Coordinating access to your account;
- Responding to requests, suggestions, questions, and comments, and providing other types of user support, which may include accessing audio, video, files, and messages, at the direction of the school or organization.
- Sending you service/transaction-related messages, such as changes to your account;
- Communicating about, and administering your participation in, events, conferences, programs, contests, surveys, polls, panels, questionnaires, and other offers or promotions.
- To personalize your experience on our Services. This includes providing you with content or other products or services you might be interested in and de-emphasize content you’ve already read or viewed.
- For marketing purposes. We will send you communications about new features, updates, products, and special offers. We may also use your information to serve you ads about our products or other products or services we (or our advertising partners, such as other third-party brands) think you might find interesting. We may also use individual and aggregate information about you to inform our marketing and advertising campaigns. For more information on your choices about marketing communications, see the “Control Over Your Information” and the “Our Third-Party Data Collection and Online Advertising Practices” sections of this Privacy Notice.
- To communicate with you. For example, we may communicate with you about your account activities, such as by providing you transaction confirmations or alerting you when a subscription is up for renewal. If you register with us, we may enroll you in our email newsletters or other periodic electronic communications and may also send you user surveys and promotional communications. We may communicate with you by email, postal mail, telephone, text message, or other means. For more information on how to adjust your communications preferences, see the “Control Over Your Information” section of this Privacy Notice.
- To monitor, improve, and develop our products and services. We may use your information to understand our visitors and customers and to tailor or optimize our Services. For example, we may analyze statistics and trends to make our Services better and to develop the Sites or new services or features.
- To protect the security and integrity of our business, comply with legal requirements and obligations, or as otherwise permitted by law. We may use information to protect NTC, our users, and our Services. We may also use information in order to comply with laws, regulations, court orders, or other legal obligations or to assist in an investigation, protect and defend our rights and property, or the rights or safety of third parties, enforce our Terms of Service, this Privacy Notice, or agreements with third parties, detect and prevent fraud or for crime-prevention purposes, or for any other reason permitted by law. We may take part in or be involved with a corporate business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, or financing or sale of company assets and may use information in connection with or as an asset in such a corporate business transaction. Personal information may also be used in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
- For any other purposes with your consent, at your direction, or where notice is provided. We may use your personal information for any other purposes with your consent, at your direction, or where notice is otherwise provided.
3. OUR DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
NTC may disclose your personal information when you post content that is visible to others on the Services, when you consent or instruct us to share your information with third parties, or when we have a legitimate business or legal need to share your information. We may also disclose anonymous or aggregate information that does not reasonably identify you as an individual. For example, your information may be shared with:
- Other Users, Schools, or Organizations. If you use the Services in connection with another user, a Teacher, a mentor/coach, a school, your employer, or an Organization, they may have access to your information. For example, if you are a teacher using our Services, authorized administrative users from your school and program may have access to your entire teacher or Student profiles, including if available, email address, phone number, and other personal information that you provide.
- Third-Party Services. NTC Services may include links to third-party providers, such as Along, PERTS Elevate, Torsh Talent, and PlayPosit. When you incorporate the NTC Services through a third-party integration, we share certain information, such as name and email. Please note these third-party providers use your information according to their own privacy notice and practices, which may differ from the practices described in this Privacy Notice. Please review the privacy notice of any third party provider or service to understand their privacy practices before you participate in any third-party integration through the Services.
- Third-Party Partners. From time to time, and in a manner consistent with your preferences or as permitted by law, we may provide your information, including name and email address, to our partners. Our partners may use this information to offer you promotional content and to communicate with you.
- Funding Applications. We seek grants and other funds to help us accomplish our mission. As part of that process, we may need to provide information about the services we provide through the Services.
- Researchers. NTC works with third-party researchers to improve our Services and conduct studies to impact the field. As part of this research, NTC may allow third-party researchers to access data and content submitted to or collected through the Services.
- Third Parties with Your Consent or According to Your Instructions. You may provide consent or authorization to share your personal information with third-party applications or services in several ways, depending on the functionality available now and in the future through the NTC Services. Please note that these third parties are not governed by NTC or the terms of this Privacy Notice. We recommend you review the privacy notice of any third-party application or service before authorizing access to your NTC account information. For example, you may authorize NTC to share your information with:
- Special programs you participate in. If you participate in special programs where NTC partners with third parties, NTC may share data collected from or about you with its third party partners to facilitate the program or services being offered. For example, we may share your contact information with third parties with whom we partner to conduct studies or learning programs.
- Others with your consent. In some instances, you may be able to grant us permission to share your information with third-party partners, not-for-profit organizations, and other entities that are not affiliated with NTC. In these cases, we will only provide to these third parties the information you have authorized or asked us to share to these third parties. You may also choose to share content with others by email, or by posting NTC content to social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Discord or Slack. These third parties may use your information as described in their own privacy policies. To control the information that you share, you can adjust your social network settings or disconnect your social network account from your NTC account.
We may also share information for the following business purposes:
- Service providers. Third-party vendors and other service providers that perform services on our behalf, as needed to carry out their work for us, which may include providing mailing services, providing payment or accounting services, web hosting, or providing analytic services.
- Third parties in connection with a business transaction. Other parties in connection with a company transaction, such as a merger, sale of company assets or shares, reorganization, financing, change of control or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company or third party, or in the event of a bankruptcy or related or similar proceedings.
- Law enforcement, regulators, and other parties for legal reasons. Third parties as required by law or subpoena or if we reasonably believe that such action is necessary: (a) to comply with the law and the reasonable requests of law enforcement; (b) to enforce our Terms of Service or to protect the security or integrity of our Services; and/or (c) to exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of NTC, our users, visitors, or others.
We may also share information with others in an aggregated or otherwise anonymized form that does not reasonably identify you directly as an individual. For example, we may use and share aggregate or anonymized data to study and improve our Services, user functionality, and product offerings.
4. OUR THIRD-PARTY DATA COLLECTION AND ONLINE ADVERTISING PRACTICES
Please note that we will our best efforts and take multiple steps to avoid the use of Student Data (defined in Section 8) for targeted advertising purposes, for example, we do not allow third-party advertising networks to collect information on the NTC Learning Platforms for targeted advertising purposes. Additionally, we do not knowingly direct targeted advertising to individuals we know to be Students on our Services or on any other website or online service.
Please see the “Control Over Your Information” section of this Privacy Notice to learn how you can opt out of interest-based advertising.
5. CONTROL OVER YOUR INFORMATION
- Modifying or Deleting your Account information: If you have an account for an NTC Learning Platform, you may update your account information by contacting your program leader. You may also update your name and email address by contacting us at email@example.com. Note we may not be able to modify or
delete your information in all circumstances.
- Control email communications: You can opt-out of receiving promotional emails from us by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of each email. Unfortunately, you cannot unsubscribe from Services-related messaging.
- Communications: We may use personal information we collect to communicate with individuals, including to market to you or offer you information and updates on products or services we think you may be interested in. You can unsubscribe from marketing calls or text messages at any time by replying STOP or clicking the unsubscribe link (where available) in one of our messages. For more information, please see our Terms of Service.
- Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: To manage cookies, an individual may have the ability to change their browser settings to (for example): (i) notify them when they receive a cookie, so the individual can choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) automatically reject cookies (or certain types of cookies, such as cookies set by third parties). Note that similar controls may exist for other tracking technologies, such as pixels, SDKs, and localStorage. Please check your device or browser settings and related documentation for more information.Further, note that restricting the use of these technologies might negatively impact an individual’s experience using our Services, as some features or offerings may be less personalized or may not work as otherwise intended. Depending on an individual’s device and operating system, the individual may not be able to delete or block all cookies or other tracking technologies described in this Privacy Notice. In addition, if an individual wants to reject cookies across all browsers and devices, the individual will need to do so on each browser and device they use. An individual may also have options within their email client to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether they have accessed our email and performed certain functions with it.
If you have any questions or requests about your account information, contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES AND SERVICES
The Services may contain links to and from third-party websites of our business partners, advertisers, social media sites, and other services. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies or content. We strongly recommend that you read their privacy policies and terms and conditions of use to understand how they collect, use, and share
7. HOW NTC USES STUDENT DATA
This section describes how we collect, use, disclose, and process Student Data collected through the Services.
General Student Data Practices: In addition to the data collection practices specified in this Privacy Notice, we also collect the following information in connection with Students and schools and educational organizations:
- Information about Schools and Educational Organizations: We ask for certain information when a teacher registers with NTC, or if the representative corresponds with us online, including a name, school/organization name, school district, school/organization email address, school country and state, role at school/organization, ethnicity, years teaching, current teaching grade level and current teaching assignments, and relevant IT and equipment information required for Students to participate. Representatives, teachers, and mentors/coaches may also provide information about Students, such as a class roster. We may also collect information provided by a school or educational organization if the school or educational organization sends us a message, posts content to our Sites or through our Services, or responds to emails or surveys. Once a school or educational organization begins using the Services, we will collect content and information provided by the school or educational organization through their use of the Services and we will keep records of activities related to the Services.
- Information about Students: We collect information about Students from the school or educational organization or, in limited instances, directly from the Student, including name, grade or date of birth, email address, school/educational organization (name, city, state).
- Use of Video and Audio Services: Depending on their policies, settings and how they use our Services to provide educational services, the school or organization providing educational services may be able to see or to share the personal information from Students who join classes, meetings, mentor sessions, or webinars on their account. The school or other organization’s use and disclosure of Student Data is subject to the school or educational organization’s policies, not NTC’s.
- Student Data Usage and Content: Depending on their settings, the school or other organization providing educational services – and the people they designate — can access (i) (ii) information about the teacher participants who joined classrooms or meetings on their account (including participant name, display name, email address and participant ID); (iii) the content of recordings hosted on their account, as well as a transcript of audio, if enabled; and (iv) information provided in response to polls, Q&A or other content shared during classrooms, webinars, and meetings on their account. In addition, teachers may be able to upload video and audio files. For example, NTC’s Learning Platforms permit teachers to upload video and audio files to the NTC Services.
- Teachers, Mentors, Coaches, Schools, and Participants: Teachers, mentors/coaches, hosts, and other participants in a classroom or meeting may be able to see, content and information shared by the participants during a meeting and webinar. Depending on settings implemented by the school or educational organization, teachers, mentors/coaches, hosts, and participants also may be able to record or save classroom or meeting content, audio transcripts, messages sent to everyone or to them directly, and files, whiteboards, or other information shared during a classroom or educational meeting. In addition, users may be able to upload video and audio files to the NTC Services.
- Third-Party Integration Services: Schools or educational organizations may choose to install third-party apps to add features or educational services to their use of the Services, including apps that may receive access to personal information about Students and other users on their account. Personal information shared by schools and educational organizations with third-party apps is subject to the school or organization’s policies and the app developers’ terms and privacy policies, not NTC’s Privacy Notice.
Compliance with Laws: We do not use Student Data for any purpose other than to provide the Services, in accordance with our contractual agreements with the participating schools, our Terms of Service, and this Privacy Notice. NTC does not own or control Student Data, which belongs the Student or the School that contracts with NTC to provide the Services.
The NTC Services are designed to provide protections for Student Data as required by applicable privacy laws. For example:
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). This Privacy Notice and our Services are designed to meet our responsibilities to protect personal information from the Students’ educational records under FERPA. We agree to work with our school partners to jointly ensure compliance with the FERPA regulations.
• Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). NTC is not directed to children under 13 and does not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 13. Please contact us at email@example.com if you believe we have inadvertently collected personal information of a child under 13 without proper consent so that we may delete such data as soon as possible.
- Students Online Personal Information Protection Act (“SOPIPA”). This Privacy Notice and our Services are designed to comply with SOPIPA. We do not use Student Data for targeted advertising purposes. We do not use collected information to amass a profile of a Student except in furtherance of providing the features and functionality of the Services. We never sell Student Data unless the sale is part of a corporate transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, or other sale of assets, in which case we make efforts to ensure the successor entity honors the privacy commitments made in this Privacy Notice and/or we will notify the school and provide an opportunity to opt-out by deleting Student Data before the data transfer occurs.
- California Assembly Bill 1584 (“AB 1584”). This Privacy Notice and our Services are designed to comply with AB 1584. Pupil records obtained by NTC from a local educational agency (“LEA”) continue to be the property of and under the control of the LEA. Parents, legal guardians, or eligible pupils may review personally identifiable information in the pupil’s records and correct erroneous information by contacting their LEA directly. In the event of an unauthorized disclosure of a pupil’s records, NTC will notify the LEA and will provide the LEA with information to be shared with the affected parent(s), legal guardians(s), or eligible pupil(s). Pupil records will be deleted and/or de-identified in accordance with our agreements with each school and as described in this Privacy Notice.
Student Data Privacy Principles: We are committed to the following principles to protect Student Data:
- We collect, maintain, use and share Student Data only to provide and support the Services as described in our Privacy Notice, to maintain, develop, support or improve our Services, and as otherwise permitted by our agreements or with the consent of the parent, guardian, Student, organization, or school.
- We do not use or disclose Student Data for targeted advertising purposes. While we do permit third-party advertising partners to operate on our Services for the purpose of retargeting, analytics, and attribution services, we take steps to disable third-party ad networks from collecting information for targeted advertising purposes within NTC Learning Platforms.
- We maintain a comprehensive data security program designed to protect the types of Student Data maintained by the Services.
- We will clearly and transparently disclose our data policies and practices to our users.
- We will never sell Student Data unless the sale is part of a corporate transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, or other sale of assets, in which case we will require the new owner to continue to honor the terms provided in this Privacy Notice or we will provide the school with notice and an opportunity to opt-out of the
transfer of Student Data by deleting the Student Data before the transfer occurs.
- We will not make any material changes to our Privacy Notice or contractual agreements that relate to the collection or use of Student Data without first giving notice to the school and providing a choice before the Student Data is used in a materially different manner than was disclosed when the information was collected.
If you have any questions about our practices with regard to Student Data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Review and Delete Student Data: A school or other educational organization may review and delete a Student’s information, if in compliance with any applicable law, from their administrator dashboard. If you are a parent or Student, please contact your school or other educational organization to access or delete any personal information.
8. CHANGES TO OUR PRIVACY NOTICE
NTC may modify or update this Privacy Notice from time to time so you should review this page periodically. If we change this Privacy Notice in a material manner, for example, if we seek to use personal information in a materially different manner than we had previously, we will let you know and update the “Last Updated” date at the top of the page.
9. HOW TO CONTACT US
If you have any questions about our privacy practices or this Privacy Notice, please email us at email@example.com or contact us at:
Attn: Legal Department, Privacy
New Teacher Center
1205 Pacific Avenue
Santa Cruz, CA 95060